I had a great vacation. This is going to be a long post. Here we go...
Laura and I started our vacation in Vienna. We took a night train from Strasbourg. It was very Harry Potter
We didn't want to pay the extra cost for the sleeper car so we tried to make do sleeping in the regular train. It was fine for a while because you can pull the seats out and it was just the two of us in a 6 person car. A couple of hours into the trip, however, a German girl wanted her exact seat so we had to push some of the seats back in. In the end it wasn't too bad. This photo was taken in the morning before we got to Vienna.
Vienna was really cool. We went to the Hofburg Palace and Sissi Museum. Apparently, everyone is obsessed with Princess Elisabeth and there is a strange museum in the Palace dedicated to her. There is also 8 million plates and dishes and forks that were the Hapsburgs, but overall the museum is really interesting.
We also got to see the Vienna Boys' Choir at one of the chapels. It was amazing and one of my favorite parts of the trip. It was free too for standing room. They sang as a part of the Sunday morning church service in a Hofburg chapel and then performed a song in front at the end.
We went to a wonderful but cheesy Mozart orchestra concert in period dress. There were two elderly ladies in front of us just loving the concert.
We also went to a Viennese coffee house and tried apple strudel.
Our hostel in Vienn
Budapest was beautiful. I am so glad we decided to go there, though at first it was a bit stressful. We couldn't find the hostel! We went up and down the street, but it was nowhere to be found. Finally, we noticed our reservation listed a ring code. A ring code? This seemed odd. We eventually found the address and there was no sign except a teeny tiny listing next to the doorbell for the building. Strange. Also, the door was co
Budapest was interesting because the part we were staying in seemed less touristy. I think we didn't see Budapest's best side when we first arrived and so we were amazed when we saw the beautiful part. It was also really walkable. We took the subway at first, but we hated it so we star
So basically in Budapest we walked around a lot. It was great, but at this point our feet really hurt and we had to bandage them for the rest of the trip. But we saw lots of great things--the Chain Bridge, Buda Castle, Parliament on the Pest side of the Danube. The view from Fisherman's Bastion was amazing. We also tried Hungarian food at a very local-feeling restaurant. We ate our fill of goulash and potatoes.
The weather was really cloudy the whole time we were in Budapest, but it was so beautiful at night. My photos doesn't really do it justice so here are some I found online:

Next, Laura and I took another night train to Prague. The Hungarian train wasn't quite as nice, but we were able to stretch out in our own compartments. These scary men in intense uniforms kept waking us up to check our passports as we passed from Hungary through Slovakia and into the Czech Republic.
We arrived in Prague pretty early in the morning, which was a beautiful time to see the city
Prague was really beautiful just like everybody says. We also lucked out with really good weather. Prague is strange though because it didn't seem as much like a city as the other places we visited, it seemed smaller and less urban. Also, it seemed like EVERYBODY was a tourist. I thought maybe visiting offseason would work to our a
Other cool sites include the Tyn church, the castle with the St. Vitus Cathedrial and the Ch
On Saturday morning we took a bus to Berlin. I slept for a lot of it so the 5 hour trip didn't seem too bad. In Berlin, we stayed with my friend Maren. She was an exchange student at Clarkston High during my junior year and it was great to see her again and to see Berlin with a Berliner. Laura had friends in Berlin too--Americans studying for the year. It was nice to be in the company of friends and let them guide us a bit. It was the perfect and least stressful way to end the trip.
I had a great time staying with Maren and meeting her family and friends. Maren's home is really cool--it is a multi-level apartment that stretches over a street. Maren's family was really nice, they cooked me a delicious dinner and Maren gave me lots of German chocolate and gummy bears to try. It was really comforting to meet up with someone in Europe who knows where Clarkston is and who loves Michigan!
Berlin fascinated me. The history is so interesting and there is so much to see. I got to see a lot by car at night, which was really cool. Also, on Sunday Maren, Laura, Laura's frien Alec and I walked around the city and saw many th
I also saw the East Side Gallery with the longest stretch of the remaining wall. On Monday, while everyone was in school Laura and I went to the Jewish Museum and the Checkpoint Charlie museum.
Laura and I saw a lot--it was exhausting but definitely worth it. It was a great trip, but now I am looking forward to getting back to a routine in France. I start teaching again tomorrow and begin taking French classes next week. I have a feeling November is going to fly by and it will be Christmastime before I know it. I am looking forward to that--it was weird to go on a big trip like this and take a plane home and return to France not Michigan! But I was really excited to return to France where I can communicate in the country's language!
I know I always say this, but sorry for the long post. This one wasn't for the faint of heart. I think it was more for me, so I can remember everything!
4 comments:
I am so jealous that you went to Berlin! Your blogs are great. I am going to write you an email soon! Your stories are so exciting....
oh that is exciting. you went to many places i am jealous. i went to saarbrucken and thats it. i am le poor.
whare are you taking french classes?
Hi Lindsay,
It sounds like you are having way too much fun! We will miss you next week at Kathy's...will you have some sort of Thanksgiving there? Enjoy yourself...think you are doing that anyway!!
Love,
Aunt Janet
Hey Linds,
We have been talking to you so I never needed to post a comment, but I thought I better get to it. We tried to call you today but we missed you. Your Blog is fantastic and I love to read everyone elses comments. I loved the Bertie Botts comparison. Call you tomorrow. Love you and miss you!!!
Dad
Post a Comment